Mario Lemieux Foundation Chair Transformation!

So, I was recently asked if I would like to paint two chairs this year for the Mario Lemieux Foundation to be auctioned off to benefit the Austin's Playroom Project. Of course, it was a no-brainer to say yes and something I'll always make time for. 

To learn everything you need to know about Mario and Nathalie Lemieux's  amazing vision please go to http://www.mariolemieux.org/main/austins-playroom-project/nathalies-vision/

So, I can't take full credit for the idea of the chairs themselves. I had met with Karin Girasek, the manager of Austin's Playroom Project a few months prior, and we were collaborating on painting ideas when she suggested doing a "Frozen" theme chair for the upcoming charity event.  I loved the Frozen idea and couldn't have chosen a better theme myself. 

I didn't go crazy this year with the transformation photos but I do have a few to quickly show and go over what I did to create this year's Frozen chairs for Austin's Playroom Project.

I don't have a painting of what the chairs looked like before I spray painted them blue. But, in a nutshell, they were completely white. In the first photo, I decided I wanted to spray paint the chairs blue, fading to white on the chair's legs. I only had a few weeks time span to work on the chairs themselves. So, knowing my Mr. Rogers' Chair took several MONTHS to complete, I knew I needed an idea that wasn't as time consuming, but would still work for the event. I knew the spray painting the base color of the chair could be done quickly and beautiful as opposed to hand-painting the entire chair. I chose a sky blue and an off purple/ periwinkle blue as my colors that start with the sky blue at the top and fade into the periwinkle towards the bottom. I wanted to leave the bottom legs white to add another color, play off of snow, and also give more dimension.  I took a total gamble with the glitter. I knew I wanted it, I just didn't know if it would stick! SO, while the spray paint was still wet, I sprinkled on the glitter. Some stuck. Some didn't stick, but it turned out great! As I say, always experiment -  you'll never know until you try!

After the paint was done drying, I took a pencil and sketched the characters Elsa and Olaf onto the chair. From there, I did my usual color blocking of the first layer as seen in the second picture with my favorite paint to use...oil (Shocking, I know!) I wasn't positive as to how the oil paint was going to react being painted directly onto the spray paint. I always prefer oil and to be honest, I am usually too stubborn to use acrylics instead of oil unless I absolutely have to. I thank my lucky stars that it worked! Like I said, always experiment!

 

KaitSchoebFrozenChairElsamariolemieuxfoundation

I don't have transformation photos of me painting the entire character and adding in all of the detail step by step. Both characters were done fairly quickly and are somewhat small so there wasn't much point to showing the step-by-step photos. 

I added the names of Olaf and Elsa to the back of the chairs to put the finishing touches on their respective chairs. I love these chairs and I can't wait to attend the auction in May! Knowing that I've been able to use my artistic talent to help charities and people in need has been an absolute blessing. Hopefully more to come!